Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Images, as it turns out, are a snap


I spend a lot of time collecting art from the Internet. My two primary sources are the Art Renewal Center and the Web Gallery of Art.

I've just completed a pass through ARC - I do this at least once a year - and I have everything on their website. Now I'm doing a pass through WGA with the same intent. I'm currently working in the "B" section of the WGA gallery. Here is a painting by George Caleb Bingham (1811-1879), which I added to my collection this morning.



Bingham was an American realist artist, whose work depicts American life in the frontier lands along the Missouri River. Left to languish in obscurity, George's work was rediscovered in the 1930s and he is now widely considered one of the greatest American painters of the 1800s.This particular painting, "Fur Traders Descending the Missouri", was painted around 1845 in a style known as luminism. From 1856 to 1859, Bingham studied art with the members of the Düsseldorf School in Düsseldorf, Germany. Critics claim that this caused him to abandon the rustic American style in his art.

And that's probably more than you wanted to know.

I had a lot of trouble getting the paragraphs to have one line between them. When I'd go back to edit the post I'd have to recreate it from scratch. Everything below the first sentence was missing. I guess I'll just have to keep moving along the learning curve. I finally gave up and just edited the html so the post would appear the way I wanted.

No comments: